Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Abracadabra!

"poof" and another week has gone by!

During write night on Monday we decided we would challenge ourselves with the Writer's Digest monthly prompt. This month's was "Parents look on in horror as a magician's trick goes horribly awry during a child's birthday party." So I took the challenge, any story based on that prompt, 750 words or less. By the time write night was done we both had our first draft completed - and we were both way over word count. I believe I was just over 1,000. I had some time this evening though to work on it, and now at 740 words! Still needs a little polishing but it will be ready to submit by the February 10th deadline.

Nick mentioned that we don't actually have to submit them, just keep it a personal challenge, but I love the idea of sending it in. I think this is because it will really be the first time I've ever submitted anything (besides some poem so long ago). I mean it's just a silly little contest but I feel a sense of accomplishment, like for the first time I am following through. If I can do this with a story idea that I have no interest in, then I can do this for the many stories in my head that I love. They are of course a lot longer and more involved but I will get there. I think one of my biggest hang-ups is that I try to perfect the story as I go instead of just writing it. Nick does a great job at that, keep it going, fix it after. I'm getting there :)

Maybe after I get it polished I will go ahead and post it here.

Abracadabra! and this week's blog is posted!

1 comment:

Writer256 said...

Like a TV episode or a weekly column I look forward to your blog entries.....the fans want to know...where is your latest!!