Thursday, September 16, 2010

Enraptured by Nature


I went out to the rock quarry yesterday by myself. The walk on the trails was a welcomed escape from the clutter of my house. At the larger pond, surrounded by trees, are some cliffs inviting the foolish to jump off into the dingy water. It is there that I sat with my notebook to write down some thoughts.

The warmth of the sun was inviting and I soon shed the outer layers of my clothing and laid down to bask in its embrace. The heat pressed down against me, pinning my body to the rigid stone surface. I relaxed, gave in, let my thoughts drift as beads of sweat danced on my belly.

Then I heard the howl - I couldn't feel it yet but I knew it was approaching. Like an incoming wave at the ocean, it got louder as it built up, ready to crash down upon me. The trees swayed as it raced through them, circling the gorge, coming...

The wind screamed out as it coursed through my body; lifting its thrall to its wrath, raising goosebumps, tantalizing, violating ... I trembled.

2 comments:

Regina said...

That gave me goosebumps and made me want to go with you to the rock quarry at the same time.

I'm glad that you are finding time for you. It is important. I need to take lessons from you and do just that. However, I don't have a rock quarry...but I do know of a few places to go hide.

I'm eager to read more so keep writing.

Anonymous said...

Great blog Samatha. You've got a gift. Enjoyed this blog post alot. JS.