Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A butterfly, pivotal plot point, and a small victory!


"Put your hands where I can see them and step away from the keyboard!" That is what I am telling myself as I'm stuck and I've just notice a lot of time going by and my thoughts are wandering and the paragraph keeps changing, but not progressing and I've been on page 40 since I opened up Final Draft this morning... Okay - there, I closed it!

Two weeks from today I started the outline for this screenplay (from the beach) and got quite a bit done. This week, still typing away, the story is almost all there but I've noticed a couple things. For one I feel my story is more than half way over but I'm only on page 40... umm.. problem. A movie is generally about a about 100 pages (figure one minute per page)and at this rate the end credits will be running where the climax is suppose to hit! Also - needs more comedy - more characterization as well. I figured if I could just get through the script, then I can back-track and fluff it up. But here I am on page 40 and I'm stuck on transitioning...

I don't like to give away my stories online, but basically guy about to lose girl, hasn't quite figured it out yet, but here should be the turning point... now he's going to try... and things should seem good for a few more pages when something unexpected and huge and disastrous should make it look like he realized too late, that it was all for nothing, really he should give up but then ... well forget then, how about now? I'm at a turning point for my protagonist. Now he realizes the error in his ways - or he thinks he does, and tries to correct what he did wrong. Through this process where he is practically faking it in desperation, he will start to really see what he's been missing. Then of course it might be too late... but that is where I need to get to.

So basically I know how the story ends, just stuck on a pivotal plot point. This is where I miss having a writing partner. I also need to work on some character profiling, to make certain I understand my characters and give them their unique voices. "Creating Unforgettable Characters" by Linda Seger has been helpful. I will finish reading this week so I can return it to its owner.

But anyway the sun is peeking out and I am going to pick up my daughter at school and may go for a walk in the woods to clear my head.

I'm quite content with the amount of writing I have accomplished during the last few weeks, not just on this script but in polishing up some other stories. I go back to work next week and I'm ready. I will go back to writing at night and on the weekends and frantically getting everything else done before and after work. On a good note, the agency I left confirmed that I should have been allowed to work the notice I gave and agreed to pay me for the entire month of September! Ahh... small victories always taste good :)

No comments: